Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My "project"

The other thing I have spent hours on lately is school research for Keira. She will be going into Kindergarten in the fall and we are started the process of trying to figure out where we would like to send her. We have decided that she will go to private Catholic or Christian school. Problem is there is so many choices around here!
There are 3 main schools that we are focusing on but there are at least 3 others that would fit the bill of private Catholic or Christian schools. Being my typical self I spend hours emailing friends and church members with their kids at these schools, asking principals questions about their schools, and looking up every thing from how often they have recess to what the publisher is of the theology texts. There are so many decisions to make. I know that she could probably get a great education at any of these schools but some of the questions that haunt me are:
Full day or half day kindergarten?
Weekly Mass at the school yes or no?
Is there enough play incorporated into the Kindergarten curriculum?
Is there enough recess / outdoor time?
Is foreign language a neccesity? ( she will be at these schools through 6th or 8th grade)
How important are extras like sports, art, PE, and music?
How important is location?
If we stay within the city limits she could ride the bus home ( first grade and up) and then I wouldn't have to worry about disrupting the younger kids nap routines. So is the ability to bus important to me?
The school identity... whats the school family like? What are the other kids she will be hanging out with all day like?
I could go on and on. We are scheduling school tours and hanging out at the schools during a school day to see what things are like.
So I research it all, find the answers, share my findings with Mike and discuss discuss discuss!
We will keep you posted!

No comments: