Sunday, December 16, 2007

Neighbors are so helpful!

So...with all of the snow that we received and our non-working snowblower, we had to shovel twice...once when the snow slowed down and once when the plow came by.

So...I am out there shoveling the heavy plow snow by the end of the driveway. Of course, I have no where to throw the snow so I put on my "highwater" boots, I used to use to lift the manhole cover when our street flooded, and jumped into the snowbank to "move" the snow.

I made the piles smaller and then had to go clear the end of the driveway.

At the same time, the old guy across the street decides to come out and "snowblow" his driveway. After he is finished and I am about 10% done, he starts talking to me...while I am chest deep in snow. He is making small talk.

I say to him, "I will snow blow your driveway with your snowblower for you since you are 77". He only hears the first part and says that he will think about it.

Then while I am shoveling in front of the mailbox, he comes out and says something about me mentioning using his snowblower and how he didn't comprehend it when we were talking before. Which is probably true because he is losing his mind and his hearing is "subpar".

So, he says that he would have thought about letting me use it had he heard me but he doesn't like to let people use it because it is old (like him). Of course, I am still only halfway done my shoveling and could use it now. But I let it go, because obviously he doesn't want me to use it.

Well...Tanya wants to do shoveling (honestly) and asks me to clean off the car and come inside. At which point she goes outside to shovel. While out there, the old guy comes out and says "Don't let Mike blame me for not letting him use the snow blower because I didn't hear him". She says, "Well can we use it now"...he says, "well, you know I worry about things". She says, "That's ok, we will shovel".

So...that is our nice neighbor. Oh well...maybe someday I will have a working snowblower...or just steal my dad's when he isn't looking.

7 comments:

Matt said...

After I shoveled our driveway the snow plow also buried the end of it with heavy snow. But before I went out to shovel it we noticed someone was out there clearing it with a snow blower. It was our neighbors from across the street. I went out to thank him and all I could say was "thank you so much" over and over again. I guess the cookies my wife gave them the day before paid off.

So what trying to say is we had the same experience, no?

Anonymous said...

yeah except your neighbor actually helped you out.. Ours didn't- He just watched from his doorway and tried to make small talk while we were wet, freezing, and working like mad.. He get like saying... Don't think I m rude for not letting you borrow our snow blower... and we are like you aren't rude- can we borrow it? and then he would say no.. If he didn't want us to use it why wouldn't he just do it for us??
tanya

Matt said...

Cookies, Tanya, cookies. It is all about the cookies.

Also, when getting help from your neighbors I have found it is helpful to have your neighbors feel bad for you. Having the worst lawn and mailbox on our street makes people think "jeez that guy needs help."

With super handy Mike you don't garner that kind of sympathy.

The Real EMO said...

That's all true about being handy and they are constantly telling us how nice our house looks from their kitchen window...

But we did give them cookies...the Christmas Cookies I decorated!! Hmm...guess that negates your theory :)

Matt said...

Well who decorated the cookies you gave them? That could have something to do with it? =)

Most likely it is the fact is Mike is doing too good a job fixing up your house. It's that or your neighbor is a weird. I will let you decide.

Anonymous said...

Well the next time it storms go over to his house and start to shovel him out, like a good neighbor. Maybe he will come out and offer you his snowblower to do his yard, maybe he won't. Isn't the point to help without expecting anything.

Anonymous said...

exactly... but these arent the type of people that you start helping without asking first....
tanya