Friday, February 22, 2008

Keira update




So I am sure you are all dying to know how the solids thing is going with Keira. After deciding to not feed her solids till 12 months because of her continued issues of spitting up and being gassy etc I gave in. She watches us eat like a hawk and then yells/whines until we give her some. I just couldn't say no. SO- I am now keeping a food diary of what she eats and when she spits up. We have been doing this for over a week now. She has still been spitting up about 5 times a day but never cries about it. Considering she used to spit up about 20 times a day this is a big improvement. She LOVES solid food. She doesn't like pureed stuff much and doesn't really like to eat off a spoon that much either. She likes to feed herself finger food or eat off mama or daddy's plates. After a diaper rash from cheese we are keeping her off diary and wheat for now. Wheat I guess is a highly allergic food as well. I don't really think wheat is her problem though and may try to reintroduce it to her soon- but for now no dairy or wheat. So far she has been good about eating stuff and has had rice pasta, lentils, beans, rice, oat cereal, green beans, carrots, peas, ground beef, chicken etc......
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Caroline said...

That's great! 5 times compared to 20 times is definitely an improvement. How do you give her things that aren't pureed? I would be so afraid of choking but I heard someone on our forum say their giving their baby cheerios! I guess you just have to make sure it's a very, very, very small piece? Josephine LOVES solids too but she's only had Gerber baby food and then fruit in her mesh feeder.

k's mama said...

just make the food really soft... like pea size. and make sure its soft enough that she can gum... and smash in her mouth.. hard things like apple I would grate with a cheese grater. She eats cheerois too.. they get really soft in their mouths. I break cheerois in half but Mike doesn;t and she does fine with whole ones too. they are getting so old.. they don't really need pureed food anyways.