Saturday, March 15, 2008

More info on the cow

So purchasing a cow was ALOT of work. I have actually been looking around for months. I found some beef that was certified organic and it was around 4.50 a lb. This beef is local , all natural, hormone etc... but not certified organic . ( its alot of paperwork etc to become certified organic ). This place I found ends up being around 2 something a lb. Its actually 1/3 of a cow. A whole cow is ALOT of meat. So for roughly 200 dollars we get.
6 prime rib steaks
4 top round steaks
4 chuck steaks
3 London broil steaks
3 NY Sirloin steaks
3 sets of short ribs
3 rump steaks
7 t bone steaks
2 beef roasts
1 min steak
2 sirloin tips
5 steak tips
20 lbs of ground beef
5 lbs of stew meat.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! That seems really worth it to me. How do you go about doing this or even lookg into it?

Unknown said...

Oh and just out of curiousity, how much does a whole cow cost? haha I doubt I'd ever buy a whole cow but I just can't even imagine how much it'd cost so I'm just wondering!

MommyKW said...

Looking at your list, we would need a whole cow!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!

The Real EMO said...

I am not sure much a whole cow would cost.. probably around 700-800 I am guessing. But that is ALOT of meat for a small family...
I spent alot of time online goggling local farmers etc. I am sure there are some in MA too. This place that I ended up buying it from is a local slaughter house.tanya

N&M said...

What happened to the filet mignon? Still seems like a great deal.

Save one of those Prime Rib steaks for our summer visit!! to New Hampshire!

Also, seems like you will be having roast a lot; you will have to have Dad over to enjoy!

alexish5 said...

Wow.....lots of iron coming your way! I can't wait to peek in your freezer! =)

WildRose said...

THAT IS A TON of meat! Awesome!!!