Thursday, June 05, 2008

allergy update

So the doctor that was going to test Keira for food allergies called Keira's doc and said that the tests are grossly inaccurate until about age 3 and most of the time not covered by insurance so she did not recommend doing them-YET. Keira's doc said that we could start/try her on Goat's milk- which I might add is 3.69/per quart!!!!! OUCH! Ohhh and since we aren't going to allergy test her yet she said that we should just keep Keira on a wheat free, glueten free, soy free, egg free, dairy free diet. GREAT.... that is so easy to do. All this special food is expensive!
Anyways Mike stopped at Trader Joe's again and picked up some Goats milk- I am going to try her on it tomorrow. She technically doesn't need any other milk as long as she is still nursing 3-4 times a day but I would like her to get used to another type of milk.
I am going to do a bit of research on the allergy testing thing..... becuase I do know some babies that have been allergy tested.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

If you have an asian market around your area take a trip there.. or Amazon has a ton of gluten free flours you can get reasonable. I have a ton of great gluten free recipes. I know it is tough to keep them on a special diet. Unfortunatly the doctor is correct..esp if the individual has NOT been consuming those products it will not show up in their body. It is tough to keep them on these diets... heck, it is hard for me to be on the diet but soo worth it. I hope it is just an intollerance. Jackson was diagnosed at age 2 1/2. If you ever need to talk you know where to find me!

Caroline said...

Wow, that is going to be tough to keep her on that diet but it'll be worth it in the end. I know what you mean about the special foods being expensive... I mean it's not absolutely necessary but I'm trying to feed Jo organic meats, eggs, and when I start milk I definitely want that to be organic as well. And I know the organic milk is pricey but hey it's going to be A LOT less expensive than formula!

NAB said...

Hey Tanya, did the doctor say anything about rice milk? My brother, Ryan, had really bad allergies when he was little to anything dairy. The sad part was he wasn't diagnosed until he was 3 so he spent the first three years of his life REALLY sick. Rice milk seems to do the trick for him (he's been using it ever since). I even like it! They have this stuff called rice dream, its like ice cream but way healthier!

MommyKW said...

Wow - that will be tough, but if it helps her it's definitely worth it. Our doctor never said anything about not having Samantha tested. She is going on Monday to see the allergist and they actually have a satellite office in her pediatrician's office. I will ask them and find out what they say.

Anonymous said...

hmm... I know the blood tests aren't as accurate as the skin tests but Lydia'sallergist reccommended doing blood tests first (for Lydia's peanut allergy) because the skin tests could cause a severe reaction in some people. However, if Keira has never had a severe reaction (not breathing, turning blue, swelling etc.)she probably wouldn't have any problems. From what I have read, the skin tests are accuarate even in babies (but this doesn't mean that the baby won't outgrow it as they get older).They may think it is a food sensitivity instead of a food allergy, hence not wanting to test? You could try the Feingold Diet. I know this really helped a friend's child
http://www.feingold.org/