Friday, March 06, 2009

The midwives

So last night Mike and Keira and I traveled to Milford to meet the midwives ( we actually met one of the 2) at the birth center. http://www.birthcottage.com/
They do home births as well as births at their birthing center. We toured the place and sat and interviewed one of the midwifes and her student. Its a very family friendly place. They had toys everywhere and Keira was happy to walk around and play. They had a very low c section rate ( < 2%) where the national average is 3o something % and don't do inductions. After the baby is born it is left alone to nurse and bond with mom and dad for a full hour before being weighed and measured and all that. If you have the baby at the birthing center they send you home a few hours after giving birth and then come to your house the next few days to check on things and make sure the baby is nursing well etc. Both Mike and I were very impressed. We haven't made a final decision yet but I expect we will within the next few days. We will keep you all posted!!!

4 comments:

Caroline said...

You are BRAVE! I could never do that, prop to you!!! Let us know what you decide. Sounds really nice though.

MommyKW said...

That sounds great. I am too much of a whimp for that! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

That sounds amazing! I must say that I am rather envious. If Lydia hadn't been a c-section that is what I would have wanted to do with Clare.

Liz said...

Hey tanya - just thought you might want an FYI...I work in a wrology dept now, specifically dealing with female urology, pelvic organ prolpase, pelvic floor disorder, etc. I do "grant writing" and management of grant funding. At any rate, natural birth labors account for 95% of pelvic organ prolpase, urinary incontinece, and pelvic floor disorder...not sure where you stand on c-section, but, if you can, that is the only way to go to avoid mesh, vaginal sling, and pelvic repair by the time you are 50. we want three kids and, after all the work I have done with research, they will ALL be c-section babies.