Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year and.....


Happy 7 months Keira!!!!!


Anyone have any good New Year's resolutions???
I have a few and some excuses that go with them.
1. Eat a little more healthily - as in eat more fruits and veggies and less sugar and dessert (This is hard to do because SOMEONE keeps buying candy and making desserts and won't eat certain healthy foods like beans)
2. Exercise more (this is hard to do because its freezing cold and snowy out and I can't take Keira out if its less than 25 degrees or windy)
3. Lose 10 lbs- Can't do this very easily because since I am breastfeeding I am always hungry.
4. Get rid of some more clutter in our house ( this is hard to do because SOMEONE gets alot of magazines and keeps all of them- (they have good ideas in them!!! :o))
5.Find a way to spend less money on bills, energy, food etc- If anyone has any good ideas let me know. Our last electric bill was $ 122 dollars!! Keep in mind the main living space that we use is 650 sq feet!! Yikes- I have switched to air drying all my clothes except sheets, but all of our appliances are old and definitely not energy efficient especially our 75 year old deep freeze. I like lights and I hate darkness so if its daytime I do like to keep the lights on in the room I am in.
6. Watch less TV- ohh wait I don't watch TV really......
7. Find a way to afford all natural and organic meats, dairy, and produce....
hmmm that is all I can think of at the moment!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

mike said...

#5 has to be a joke, we just increased your living space and installed twice as much lighting as you currently have in your entire house! really if you want to save, be sure to shut off lights as you leave the room,even if it is only for 5 minutes. Can those new lights have florescent lights in them? If so you could save a lot that way. Take shorter cooler showers, and wash your clothes in warm water rather then Hot. Unplug anything not being used, a lot of electronics use a little power even when they are off (hint, if it is warm it is waisting electricity) and every little bit helps. Try to cook more using the surface burners rather then the stove as they use far less power. Adjust the freezer so it is running not as cold, I know running it at 0 keeps everything real cold but 20 or 25 should be fine too specially if you don't open t much. Seal up all drafts and use that plastic stuff over the windows to keep drafts down (like in Keira's room). Also crank down the heat when you leave the house, I know it's nice to come home to a warm house but if you want to save a little,,,

alexish5 said...

Wow...you have a lot of resolutions! Great. It sounds like I am more like Mike than I thought....I buy lots of magazines and keep them all and I am the one that always is making desserts and buying food that we really shouldn't eat! =) I agree with the suggestions of unplugging appliances when you aren't using them. Matt and I started doing that and it is making a difference. Turning lights off really makes a difference too. Do you use energy effecient light bulbs?

Anonymous said...

hmmm- We use from energy-saving bulbs.. but the problem is I hate the light they provide.. its fluouresent and dingy and just not 'soft" light like a regular bulb. And being that it is winter and cloudy all the time I need bright light!!!
tanya

Anonymous said...

We put new double-pane windows in our house two years ago and our winter bills have dropped dramatically. New water heater too. It does make a difference. Newer fridge is a must too, if you need freezer space look for a "good" older fridge for the garage. Those yucky new bulbs too for the lamps do save as well. By the way are you sending in Keira's pictures to the "right" people to win a re-model?- Auntie Nancy

Anonymous said...

I am hoping new windows are in the budget sometime soon!!! I should enter Keira in a baby contest.. maybe I can win some $$$$ to buy new windows..... :o)
tanya