Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Who makes the rules???

Warning- gripe ahead!!!
So if you read this blog you know that our old truck failed its yearly inspection. So in order to get it registered we need to get a few things fixed. The major one being the leaky fuel tank. We only paid 3200 for the truck 2 years ago and it has served us well. We use it often to haul stuff, for dump runs ( all our home improvement projects require dump runs as we can't just throw construction stuff in the regular trash, when we buy stuff at Home Depot ( big pieces of drywall, wood, appliances, windows, siding etc) We really need a truck and don't want to buy a new one. So after the truck failed its inspection we got a few quotes that it would cost aroun $ 800 to fix. Mike took the truck to his cousin to look at since he has mechanic experience.... and looked up the cost of the parts online. To buy the parts alone online would be $300. Today Mike took the truck to Midas to get a price quote for the work .. the guy quoted him $900 and $600 of that was parts the guy said. hmmmm Mike mentioned that he could buy the parts online for 300 and the guy gave him a skeptical look. Mike asked if we could buy the parts and bring the truck in to get fixed and the guy said "Nope... we don't do that. You have to use our parts!! Whatever!!!!


Today I called my eye Doctor to see if I could order a new supply on contacts for a year. I HATE wearing my glasses and would much rather wear contacts. I have had an eye exam every single year since I was in Kindergarten. Our insurance covers the exam.. per say but the Dr. always finds extra "things" they need to do that aren't covered by insurance.. this certain test, these eye drops etc. So we still end up paying a bit.. and then there is of course the cost for the contacts which run about 300 for a year supply and that's not covered by the insurance at all of course. The receptionist on the phone informed me that I was due for a yearly eye exam in July. I told her I was aware of that but didn't want to get one at this time and would just like to order the contacts. "We don't do that " she informs me. All contact patients must have an exam every year. I tell her I am aware that that is the recommendation but because funds are a bit tight and because I am 26 years old and not having any problems and have had the same eye prescription for the past 10 years I would just like to order a box of contacts. " I'm sorry - we don't allow that" she tells me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I know there are places to order contacts online etc but I have somewhat of a funky prescription and and unusual type of contact.....
Seriously. Who makes these rules up????

7 comments:

4roches said...

FYI...The contact exam is for infections, t hat is why they do it yearly and online companies won't give you contacts without contacting the eye dr to confirm first so you are stuck :( I have been through this myself. Sorry to hear about the truck as well....

Anonymous said...

i have a contact lens ordering secret for you... what is your email?

Anonymous said...

insurance companies

Anonymous said...

You can try 1800 contacts if you have your contact boxes handy, the prescription is RIGHT ON THE SIDE OF THE BOX. It is a diameter and a strength. The State of NH says that contact lens prescriptions expire annually....so it is not just your doctor. By the way, did I mention that in my former pre-three-kids life I was an optician?

Now on the car---the only two places in town I trust with my cars for things like that are RON's TOY SHOP (ask for Jamie and tell them you are a friend of Chris Allains....lol) or Morin's on upper Valley. I would do Ron's first though.....Jamie is awesome. When Chris worked at the dental lab, they had a fleet of cars that got serviced there....so Chris got to know Jamie well!

It is always something!

Caroline said...

Ugh, that sucks!!! It reminds me of why I hate ebay.. because you find something and you're like wow that's such a great price and then it's like $20 for shipping. I knoooow it doesn't take $20 to ship a t-shirt! haha Why do people have to try and take advantage of everyone so much!? Why can't it just be fair? Good luck with the truck! let us know if you figure something out.

Anonymous said...

If your prescription has not yet expired it is my understanding if you call the office you can have them send you your perscription hand written to you in the mail. They do not have to have a reason. According to HIPPA you do not have to tell them. If you are inclined to tell them you can say you are seeking out another Doctor/closer to home or whatever... I then took mine to COSCTO if you have one nearby. Their lenses are a lot cheaper per box. Here they are $14.95+- per box of six. They are right in that contact wearers do need annual checkups,sorry. If you go somewhere for the exam ask for it in writing before you leave the office. Usually they want your business so if you tell them you saw them at another place less expensive they might be willing to make a deal. My doctor here does. Good luck-Auntie Nancy K.

Anonymous said...

Sorry that's COSTCO not how I spelled it before.....I need new glasses too!