Friday, September 26, 2008

You know...

you are poor and haven't grocery shopped for a month when you make Lentil and Barley soup and call it dinner simply because there really isn't any other food to eat. I am working on emptying my cabinets- really working on it. We haven't had any bread in the house in well over a week. We have no deli meat, cheese or anything to make a sandwich with- not that it would matter since we have no bread. We have like 2 eggs. We have plenty of apples and beef though.
I am boycotting grocery shopping. I HATE HATE HATE grocery shopping. It seems like such a waste of money to me.
The grocery store is literally 1 min away so I don't have an excuse. I just want to see how long I can go without grocery shopping. I figure I save money that way.
I think Mike is going to kill me ... his least favorite foods are tuna and lentils ( not together of course). We have had macaroni and cheese with tuna and peas twice this week and lentils for dinner tonight.
Mike was home for lunch... he saw the crock pot, lifted the lid and said "OHHHHH no!!!!" Hey- I made enough lentil and barley soup for at least 3 meals.... that's like 15 cents a meal!!! :o)

3 comments:

Caroline said...

HEY! I remember the days (before I really cooked much and before Jo ate table food) when I blogged about not going grocery shopping for a month at a time except I think at the time I was at the 3 month mark and you were ASTOUNDED!! haha and now I can't live without going EVERY Sunday. Oh how the tables have turned!!!! haha

MommyKW said...

Haha! If it became necessary - I have so much "extra" food on stock, that we could live off of it for probably a couple of months, if not longer! Yet, every Friday, I look in the freezer or the cupboards and say,"We don't have anything to make for dinner!"

alexish5 said...

I am impressed....but I have to feel some compassion towards Mike. Mac n'Cheese with tuna and peas......yucky! Did you mix it all together?